Anyone who knows me knows that I love jamming out to a song. I love to sing along and I love to dance and that’s why I love my Zumba and Dance Fitness class that happen twice a week.
But, did you know that I also do yoga and I like to use it as time to gather my thoughts and to understand what’s going on in my life and maybe see a new perspective on something that has been bothering me.
A lot of us understand the health benefits of yoga, but not a lot of people really consider it as something they should be introducing their child too. Yet starting yoga from a young age can help in so many ways. Today I want to show just a few of those and hopefully convince you why I believe so strongly in kids doing yoga:
- It improves your posture and flexibility. For children whose bodies are still developing and growing it makes sure that they grow in the right way, in the right postures and with internal strength that will do them wonders all through later life
- It can lower blood pressure, improve bone health, help with overall wellbeing and help get rid of impurities in the body.
- Teach you how to use breath to relax, focus and sleep better and we all know how much growing children need to sleep!
- Builds awareness. Awareness of your own body and of your surroundings. That can be very much estimated in adults and the power it can have on your wellbeing, the natural intuition of your body, where it is and what it is doing. Imagine the power it can have on a child growing through adolescence, through growth spurts that leave them uncoordinated or struggling to feel comfortable in their body.
- Can be such a powerful tool in the fight against abuse, bullying and so many other scenarios where it is hard to work with a child. Being able to draw discussion, self reflection, focus, calming, breathing and strengthening in both body and mind can be an amazing feeling.
Those are just a handful. Listing all the benefits would take forever. My advice, if you have a child, get them signed up to a yoga class if you can. There are dozens of teachers like me that teach in schools, nurseries, we can set up private classes, birthday parties or a whole host of other venues.
If you’re not sure where to start just drop me a line on here, give me a call on 07708 996 234. No question is too silly.
Ciao for now x